Tag Archives: triple

Alberta triple murderer to face sentencing and family of his victimsAlberta triple murderer to face sentencing and …

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — An Alberta man who butchered a father, his two-year-old daughter and an elderly woman two years ago is expected to come face-to-face today with the families of his victims.

It took a jury just three hours Wednesday to convict Derek Saretzky of three counts of first-degree murder and a fourth charge of causing indignity to a human body.

The 24-year-old murdered Terry Blanchette, his daughter Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette and 69-year-old Hanne Meketech in the Crowsnest Pass area of southwestern Alberta in September 2015.

The jury recommended he not be eligible for parole for 75 years.

Saretzky is scheduled to face sentencing arguments and hear eight impact statements from friends and family members of the three victims.

Crown prosecutor Photini Papadatou expects two or three of them will be read aloud in court.

Defence lawyer Patrick Edgerton told reporters that the case was emotional for everyone involved.

“This has been a tough process for everyone involved

Read more at: http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/national-news/alberta-triple-murderer-to-face-sentencing-and-family-of-his-victimsalberta-triple-murderer-to-face-sentencing-and-family-of-his-victims/

Derek Saretzky Sentencing: Triple-Murderer Hears From Victims’ Loved Ones

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — The grandmother of a two-year-old girl killed by triple murderer Derek Saretzky says she can hear screams when she imagines what the child’s final moments must have been like.

Terry-Lynn Dunbar delivered an emotional statement at Saretzky’s sentencing hearing describing the loss of her granddaughter Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette.

“I can hear her screaming in my mind begging for her mom and her dad … The horror she must have endured haunts my every moment,”

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/06/29/derek-saretzky-sentencing-triple-murderer-hears-from-victims-l_a_23008648/

Jury finds Alberta’s Derek Saretzky guilty of triple murder

GRAPHIC WARNING: This story contains details that may disturb some readers.

It took a jury just three hours Wednesday to convict a young southern Alberta man of the horrific murders of a 69-year-old woman, a young father and his two-year-old daughter, along with a recommendation he be kept in prison for at least the next 75 years.

An emotionless Derek Saretzky, 24, avoided eye contact with the jury but bowed his head while the verdict of guilty on three counts of first-degree murder was read, plus one county of committing an indignity to a body. At the back of the courtroom, friends of his elderly victim wept and hugged each other.

Hanne Meketech had been his first victim in September 2015, followed five days later by Terry Blanchette, 27, and his little girl, Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette.

Both adults were beaten and had their throats slit; the little girl was plucked from her crib and spirited

Read more at: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/jury-finds-albertas-derek-saretzky-guilty-of-triple-murder/article35485376/

Victims identified in triple homicide

x

 

Investigation continues at triple homicide, 1800 block Forsythia Dr.
Kelly Wilkinson / IndyStar

Update: The Marion County coroner’s office identified the victims of a triple homicide as Mark Higgins, 64, Keith Higgins, 34, and Jessica Carte, 34,

Earlier: For 15 years, Shirley Jackson has called the peaceful street of Forsythia Drive her home.

She was attracted to the east-side neighborhood near 21st Street and Franklin Road because of its tranquility and welcoming neighbors. She said they’re the kind of folks who would wave, smile or lend a hand without hesitation.

So the shock in her voice and on her

Read more at: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2017/06/01/imdp/361849001/

Accused triple killer a ‘failure and coward,’ Crown says in closing

Ian Bush is a failure and coward who attempted to rewrite his own sorry history by tying up and murdering three people, a Crown prosecutor alleged in his closing arguments to a jury Monday.

Bush is on trial for three counts of first-degree murder in the slayings of retired tax court judge Alban Garon, his wife, Raymonde Garon, both 77, and their neighbour Marie-Claire Beniskos, 78. The three seniors were killed in the Garons luxury condominium on Riverside Drive on June 29, 2007.

In his closing address to a jury, prosecutor James Cavanagh argued that the accused killer was disgraced and humiliated in front of his family when it was revealed he owed his mother $60,000. Bush was angry at Revenue Canada for holding back money he thought he was owed when he decided to lash out at those he held responsible, said Cavanagh.

Cavanagh alleged thats when Bush plotted the murder of

Read more at: http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Crime/2017/05/15/22724479.html

‘My blood, some murder or something’: Man fuzzy on why he was called to testify at triple-murder trial

The triple-murder trial of Ian Bush took a strange twist on Friday when the jury heard that DNA evidence linked another man to the bloody crime scene.

Police had found a partial DNA profile in their sweep of the Riverside Drive condo where retired tax judge Alban Garon, his wife Raymonde, and friend Marie-Claire Beniskos, were bound, beaten and suffocated in June 2007.

Antony Thavaratnam, 57, never set foot in Ottawa until 2009, some two years after the killings.

The Toronto warehouse shipper, who has been ruled out as a suspect, was called to the stand on Friday.

It was a bit of work for him to get to the Elgin Street courthouse. He finished his night shift at 12:45 a.m., went home to change his clothes so he could get to his paper routes (Toronto Sun and Toronto Star), then drove to Ottawa but not before getting lost along the way.

Under examination-in-chief by

Read more at: http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Crime/2017/04/21/22719477.html

‘My blood, some murder or something’: Man fuzzy on why he was called to testify at triple-murder trial

The triple-murder trial of Ian Bush took a strange twist on Friday when the jury heard that DNA evidence linked another man to the bloody crime scene.

Police had found a partial DNA profile in their sweep of the Riverside Drive condo where retired tax judge Alban Garon, his wife Raymonde, and friend Marie-Claire Beniskos, were bound, beaten and suffocated in June 2007.

Antony Thavaratnam, 57, never set foot in Ottawa until 2009, some two years after the killings.

The Toronto warehouse shipper, who has been ruled out as a suspect, was called to the stand on Friday.

It was a bit of work for him to get to the Elgin Street courthouse. He finished his night shift at 12:45 a.m., went home to change his clothes so he could get to his paper routes (Toronto Sun and Toronto Star), then drove to Ottawa but not before getting lost along the way.

Under examination-in-chief by

Read more at: http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/04/21/my-blood-some-murder-or-something-man-fuzzy-on-why-he-was-called-to-testify-at-triple-murder-trial

‘My blood, some murder or something’: Man fuzzy on why he was called to testify at triple-murder trial

The triple-murder trial of Ian Bush took a strange twist on Friday when the jury heard that DNA evidence linked another man to the bloody crime scene.

Police had found a partial DNA profile in their sweep of the Riverside Drive condo where retired tax judge Alban Garon, his wife Raymonde, and friend Marie-Claire Beniskos, were bound, beaten and suffocated in June 2007.

Antony Thavaratnam, 57, never set foot in Ottawa until 2009, some two years after the killings.

The Toronto warehouse shipper, who has been ruled out as a suspect, was called to the stand on Friday.

It was a bit of work for him to get to the Elgin Street courthouse. He finished his night shift at 12:45 a.m., went home to change his clothes so he could get to his paper routes (Toronto Sun and Toronto Star), then drove to Ottawa but not before getting lost along the way.

Under examination-in-chief by

Read more at: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/my-blood-some-murder-or-something-man-fuzzy-on-why-he-was-called-to-testify-at-triple-murder-trial